Grain Bin Safety
Harvest time can bring a lot of stress, fatigue, and temptation to take shortcuts and not follow proper safety procedures. We care about our farming community, and want to take this opportunity to set out some reminders on grain bin safety.
Grain Bin Safety Tips
- Break up crusted grain with a long pole from outside the bin and be mindful of electric lines.
- Wear a harness attached to a secured rope if you do enter a bin.
- Stay near the outer wall of the bin and keep walking to get to the ladder or safety rope as quickly as possible if grain starts moving and you’re inside.
- Have at least one other person outside the bin in case you become entrapped. Make sure they’re trained on rescue procedures and know the safety procedures and rules for entering the bin.
- Anyone working in a grain bin needs to wear a dust filter or respirator.
- Stay out of grain bins, wagons and trucks when unloading equipment is running.
- If you do enter the bin, make sure all augers and fans are off and locked so they are not accidentally turned on while in the bin.
- Keep children far from bins, wagons or trucks.
- Install ladders inside grain bins for an emergency exit whenever possible and paint bright stripes so it can easily be located in a dusty bin.
Read the full article on AgWeb.com